[at-l] cummulative elavation gain question

The net gain is simple.  Springer is at 3,782 feet and Katahdin is at
5,267 feet.  As my old physics prof used to say "turn the crank and out
comes the answer"  5,267 - 3,782 = 1,485 feet.  In the technical
definition of work, all the interim ups and downs don't count.
Rich