[at-l] Chestnut Knob Shelter

Recently there has been an increase in reports of locals driving all the way
up to Chestnut Knob Shelter and partying most of the night at the shelter.
Within the last two weeks we had a report of one night when three pick-ups,
beer coolers, boom boxes, etc keeping some thrus up all night.

Hopefully that will end tomorrow.

PATH finally got USFS agreement and support to gate the access road.

Today, three of us (a USFS employee & two PATH volunteers) hauled a USFS
style gate about 1/2 way up the access road.  The lower levels are
bypassable via other old roads (or though open woods), which only require a
chainsaw reopen (or create a new road).  Major tank traps had failed in this
area.  We set the  5 1/2 feet long six inch diameter post with an array of
rebar at the bottom two and a half feet deep in 240 lbs. of concrete, each.
They are at a point on a sidehill of over 45* sloop.  So, I don't think they
will be bypassed.

Tomorrow the two PATH volunteers will return to add locks, signs, the 15
foot long four inch diameter cross bar, etc.

Hopefully, that will slow them down.

However, this is not far from where someone bulldozed another such gate
right out of the road.  So, here's hoping.

Chainsaw