[at-l] communications

"Elliott, Patrick S" <Patrick.Elliott@allina.com> wrote:

>This thread has regressed way past the original post.

Patrick -
While I understand why you might think so, I can't agree with you.  But I
will say "thank you"  :-)

>The person
>originally stated that they only wanted to carry a cell phone for
>emergencies.  Just in case something happens.

And that's precisely the point that a lot of people miss - that carrying a
cell phone "Just in case something happens" is the end result of fear.  One
of the things many long distance hikers tell others is to not carry anything
that can be labelled "spare" or "extra" because they'd be carrying them
"just in case".  It's extraneous and unnecessary weight.  For example,
carrying spare batteries for your flashlight is an exercise in futility if,
like I did, you only use one set of batteries between Springer and Katahdin
- it's extra weight that you don't need to carry.  The only reason for
carrying them would be that you're afraid of the dark.  "Just in case" =
fear.

Similarly, for a thruhiker, carrying a cell phone "just in case" is
generally an expression of the fear of being "out of contact" with humanity,
or "civilization" or "the world".  By any name you want to call it - it's
still fear.

>The discussion had
>nothing to do with the need to constantly keep in contact with the
>civilized world.

Of course it did. As a thruhiker, why else would you carry a cell phone if
your expressed desire is to leave the "civilized world" behind?  For a
thruhiker, the only purpose for a cell phone is to "stay in contact" - to
provide that "lifeline" to civilization that so many people feel the need
for. Many of us tell ourselves that the cell phone will stay in the bottom
of the pack - but how many times does it really happen that way?  How many
times does the temptation arise to call for pizza - or for a shuttle - or to
talk to a wife or girlfriend - or ..... (whatever)?  And how many thruhikers
will resist that temptation?  In general, the thruhikers creed is - "Never
pass up temptation, it might not come along again"  :-))

>I think we all are in agreement that the primary goal
>when hiking is to escape civilization.

And now we're down to the nitty-gritty - if you're carrying a cell phone,
have you really "escaped from civilization"?  If you can reach out and touch
it, then by my definition, you're still in the cage - it's just a little
larger cage.

One of the problems here is that most people don't believe that just
carrying the cell phone (or any other material object) can change their
attitude about what they're doing (like a thruhike).  Hopefully some of them
will learn - but I don't expect it'll be an easy lesson for some of them.
It wasn't for me.

An example - if you carry a gun, there's a level of paranoia that goes with
it.  There's always the awareness that it's there and the possibility that
it "might be needed" and the responsibility to keep it and the people around
you safe.  If you don't believe that's a heavy load, then you just haven't
thought about it.  But I can tell you that it definitely colors your
attitude about life - it carries a level of responsibility that many people
today aren't comfortable with.  And it's much too heavy a load to carry for
a couple thousand miles on the trail.

You can argue all you want that the difference between a gun and a cell
phone negates my argument - but you'd be wrong.  The bottom line is that
they're both inanimate objects that are carried largely out of fear.  And
the fear, not the object, is what colors your attitude and therefore changes
your hike - or your life.  Yeah, carrying a gun would also change your
attitude - and your hike. I dont recommend that either.

I won't tell you that I never operate out of fear - that would be a foolish
assertion.  But when I discover that I'm doing so, I work to correct the
situation, to eliminate the fear and its source, so I can live in freedom.
Fear is a prison - whether on the trail or on the job - or anywhere else in
life.  On the trail it condemns you to carrying too much food (fear of being
hungry) or too heavy a sleeping bag (fear of being cold) - or even too big a
pack (fear of not being able to carry all the "stuff" to assuage all your
other fears).  Or a cell phone.

I have no problem whatever with NoName SOBO (or anyone else) carrying a cell
phone.  But I have a problem with people who do so without actually thinking
about what they're doing and why they're doing it and what the consequences
are.  Unfortunately, I've found that a lot of people don't really think
much.  William James, the philosopher, said: "Most people believe they're
thinking, when all they're really doing is rearranging their prejudices".

I've also found that a lot of people don't understand the consequences of
their actions.  For example, there was the PCT thruhiker last year who had
airline tickets to leave Seattle on Oct 1.  We intended to finish the PCT on
Sept 25 and we were having trouble going slow enough to finish that late.
He passed us in northern California.  Think about that - he was putting in
bigger miles than we were, had the same distance to travel - and intended to
finish later than we did.  Where's the disconnect here?  It came as a great
shock to him when he realized what I was telling him - because he'd gotten
into what Rosie used to call Male Macho Mileage mode - and turned his brain
off.  And he was, by any standard, a really bright person.

Now - am I off-topic here?  Not at all.  This is ALL hiking related - if you
understand it.  If you don't - don't worry about it, it'll come to you
sooner or later.  There was a time when I listened to an educational tape 30
or 40 times trying to understand what the man was trying to tell me - and
finally I gave up.  But when I came back and listened to that same tape 6
months later, I was ready to hear what he was saying - I understood it the
first time around.  And it changed my life.  Not all of us are ready to hear
what we're being told the first (or sometimes the twentieth) time we're
told.

I forgot to warn people that I'm still in "ramble" mode, didn't I?  Oh well,
for those who got this far - congratulations on your patience.  For the
others, well - I've also found that those who need a message most usually
don't bother listening to it.  So I'm probably preaching to the choir again.
  But that's life, isn't it  :-)

Walk softly,
Jim