[at-l] Drying down [was Mylar sleeping bags]

> Was it only one night?
> Hoz'bout more details on drying a soaked down bag?

Yeah, it was only one night luckily -- at Logan Brook
Shelter in Maine (just north of Whitecap Mountain in
the 100 mile wilderness).

Placing two hot water bottles inside the space mylar
sleeping bag with me (the mylar bag used as a liner
inside my down sleeping bag) was enough to dry the
down out overnight (and allow me to get some sleep too
-- whew, I sure didn't get much sleep the night
before).

Unfortunately, it snowed considerably very early the
next morning and the snow blew into the shelter all
the way to the back wall (while I was busily sleeping
thinking of sugar plums in never-never land). When I
woke up, the down inside my sleeping bag was dry but
my sleeping bag was completely covered with snow. The
dryloft cover on my sleeping bag helped to deter the
down from getting wet again (to some extent anyhow --
the snow was deep enough to have drifted on top of
me). If it hadn't been for the deep snow outside the
shelter and on top of me, I'd have been able to hike
out and continue northward that day.

When I woke up, I scraped the snow from my sleeping
bag and the shelter floor and with two other shelter
residents, closed up the front of the shelter using my
Nomad tent and a tarp one of the other guys had. Then
I proceeded to re-heat the water in my hot water
bottles. Another day of using the hot water bottles
warmed me up as well as the sleeping bag.

It continued to snow that day and into the next night.
Ahhh...it was either an early blizzard or I was late
getting to Maine. I ended up snowed-in at that shelter
for three nights.

Datto