[at-l] communications

Good Morning,

We've taken a cell phone on most of our section hikes, ranging from 40 to
170 miles.  Keeping in mind that our southern AT experience is now as much
as 11 years old, our reception up to Damascus was spotty.  From Damascus
through our current stopping point at Sherburne Pass, VT, our experience has
been hit and miss, but fairly reliable.  That being said, our experience
isn't extensive as we've not actually used the phone on some trips, instead
opting to use one of the dozens of pay phones available along the trail.
I'd say the most reliable stretch is the VA/MD/PA/NJ/NY/CT stretch, with
somewhat narrow ridgelines and a parallel interstate highway.

Take Care,

Tim

PO2CO2@aol.com
>  writes:
>

>  > I hate to ask, because I don't want flaming arrows thrown my way BUT,
are
>  > there any dependable (cell phones?) devices that operate well along the
AT?
>  >
>  > You know I would never call my wife or anything.......just for manly
stuff
>  > like if I can't crawl into the next town with 2 broken legs:)
>  >

>  The best device that operates on the Trail without fail is word of mouth.
;)
>   The cell phones, I just don't get the controversy.  I think it must be
that
>  the only time they work is on peaks, which is where most people want to
have
>  their view not interrupted by them.  But the frequency of running into
>  someone on a popular peak with a popular view yakking on a cel phone is
>  pretty low.
>
>  The people I know who *do* carry *&)) ph***'s have mostly reported that
they
>  could never use them when they needed them (or wanted them, anyway) on
the
>  Trail.  Then again, I've also heard stories of a hiker w/ a c** ph***
saving
>  someones life.  So . . . um . . . .word of mouth.  Best communication
system
>  on the Trail.  Ce** P***** work every time. Not.
>
>  The Redhead

Send a cool gift with your E-Card