[at-l] Wanchor Report

Jon called yesterday (Sunday; May 13) from--well, he didn't exactly know=20
where he was, but there was a country restaurant there and he'd actually=20
eaten a vegetable (of a sort) with his ribeye steak sandwich--coleslaw being=
=20
the vegetable. =A0

He reported seeing a cluster of four pink ladies slippers (flowers, not=20
shoes) along the trail. =A0But he was happier to report that he'd actually=20
recognized three different places along the trail where he'd worked on his=20
various stints with the Konnorock Kroo. =A0He even stood for a minute on a r=
ock=20
he had placed on one of those trailwork days. =A0

He called again today (Monday, May 14) from Hampton, TN. =A0He says he feels=
=20
fine and is in good spirits. =A0I goofed and neglected to double bag some=20
Gatorade powder; it was liberally applied thoughout the entire maildrop.=20
=A0I'll try not to do that again.

He's decided that if he can get hold of George & Mary Sue Roach (Travelin Ma=
n=20
& Southern Harp), he'll ask them to swing by Pearisburg on their way to Trai=
l=20
Days and pick him up. =A0I'm to send his FT polo shirt & Tevas so he can tak=
e a=20
turn manning the FT booth at Trail Days. =A0If he can't get hold of the=20
Roaches, he says he doubts he'll go. =A0

His mileage is now in the low 20's and he's still longing to break into the=20
somewhat less up and down territory of Virginia.

As I packed the next maildrop tonight I wondered if he's as sick of eating=20
the extremely repetitive diet he insisted upon as I am of packing it; it's=20
not that I mind packing the stuff, it's just so yuckily the same. =A0One pag=
e=20
of pack list done and 3.5 more pages of pack list to ship. =A0

Note from the homefront:  This was not a good day.  On my way back to work=20
from the dentist I stopped at Walgreen's to try to pick up film I thought Jo=
n=20
had left there before his hike.  The clerk searched for 20 minutes with no=20
luck.  I assumed there were photos there as Jon left the pick up slip taped=20
to the microwave door.  On the phone today he decided he must have already=20
picked up the film. =20

After work stoped at the grocery to pick up Jon's prescriptions for this=20
maildrop, and tried to get two of them a few days early--no such luck. =20
Managed care is a wonderful thing--do they think he's gonna quit needing the=
m=20
between now and then?

Did squeeze in an hour hike on the FT (son spends Monday nights with his Dad=
,=20
so I am free).  Came home about 8:25 and experimented with a new chocolate=20
malt bar receipe for the mail drop.  A dismal failure and burned 'em to boot=
.=20
Rescued a few of the insipid things and filled out the maildrop with a few=20
cookies from the freezer.  Now it's 11:44 and I still need to write 4 notes=20
(one for every night he's on the trail) for this maildrop.  I feel myself=20
slipping into a pity party.  At least I'm meeting one goal--3 days of hiking=
=20
one-two hours and one day of heavy duty yard work this week.  All Jon asked=20
was that I try to be in better hiking shape when I meet him in Maine in=20
August.  You gotta love a man who NEVER says anything about your weight.  =20

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com

multipart/alternative
  text/html