[at-l] FYI Bear Attacks

In a message dated 5/7/01 10:06:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, kahley7@ptd.net
writes:

<< I saw a program on the tube a couple weeks ago that contained the profound
statement:
 It's not surprising that bears attack people, it's surprising that so few
bears attack people. >>

      The required ranger lecture at Denali told me that bears are creatures
of habit that don't like anything strange in their feeding environment.
Humans are strange so they tend to steer clear. They are also very smart and
probably remember being hunted. My guess would be that the boys were scented
with similar food smells that the bear had been encountering at the poorly
kept sites. I also have a theory (probably unprovable) that bears are just
getting sick and tired of human competition.