[at-l] does this happen to you?

Yup, you are right. I thought the decision to go with a 2000 miler
designation was a general mileage thing, and not a "entire trail"
thing. As the atconference.org site states:

"The ATC confers the designation of "2,000-miler" on any hiker who
reports he or she walked the entire length of the Appalachian Trail. We
use the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition and convenience —
that's the original length of the trail, and changing the designation
each time the length changes would be impractical.

Our recognition policy does:

1)give equal recognition to thru-hikers and section-hikers,
2)recognize blue-blazed trails or officially required roadwalks as
viable substitutes for the official, white-blazed route in the event of
an emergency, such as a flood, a forest fire, or an impending storm on
an exposed, high-elevation stretch,
3)operate on the honor system.

Our recognition policy does not consider:

1)sequence
2)direction
3)speed
4)whether one carries a pack

ATC assumes that those who apply for 2,000-miler status have made
honest efforts to walk the Appalachian Trail from Katahdin to Springer
Mountain. "

My error. That's twice this weekend! I hope the Avery Monitors aren't
taking note!

Bill...