[at-l] I don't need no stinking pack cover WAS: need sleepingbag advice

in article mailman.989027206.22814.at-l@mailman.backcountry.net, David Hicks
at daveh@psknet.com wrote on 5/4/01 9:22 PM:

> I use trash compactor bags.

I also have a G4, but I use a large construction-grade trash bag to line the
whole pack, then I twist it at the top and fold it down. My bear bag, which
is waterproof, sits on top. I must confess to also putting a lightweight
pack cover on the outside -- belt and suspenders -- I just donšt like a wet
pack and I've never had one with this system. But I was thinking of ditching
the pack cover this summer. How do you close off the tops of the compactor
bags to ensure water doesn't run into them? I've always had the concern that
water would find some way of trickling into the top of the garbage bag,
wetting everything inside.

Pokey