[at-l] need sleeping bag advice

On my thru I used a 25-degree Mountain HardWear bag that was built to
accept a zip-in liner. It started getting too hot by mid-May, at which time
I switched and used the liner all summer until nighttime temps dropped
below 40 degrees. The liner was comforable except on the hottest nights
when temps were around 70 or 80. The combined bags were supposed to be good
to about 10 degrees, and the combo was indeed toasty warm when it turned
cold, but I found carrying two bags (for that's really what the liner is,
another sleeping bag) too heavy when I lugged it through the White
Mountains. The 25-degree bag alone was warm enough to get me from Gorham to
Katahdin in late September and mid October.

My bags were heavy because they're synthetic and semi-rectangular (I'm a
big guy who needed the room). Now I've got a good 770-loft down 20-degree
mummy bag, and am amazed how much weight and pack space it saves. It's
lighter even than the summer liner by itself. I'm told that down "breathes"
better than synthetic fill in warmer weather, and thus has a wider temp
range. You may be able to find a lighter down bag with a zip-in liner. The
liner is a little more substantial and windproof than fleece, but also
heavier.

I kept my tent strapped to the outside of the internal frame pack, so I
didn't worry about waterproofing its bag.

--Rhymin' Worm