[at-l] RE: Weird Email (WARNING - off topic question)

> A:  Absolutely not.  Routers operate at a completely
> different layer.   I
> think what you're seeing is just spam.  In many
> cases, they address it to a
> third party to confuse people, or to make folks
> think they've got someone
> else's email and they're privy to some exclusive
> offer that wasn't even
> intended for them.
>
> That Nigerian scam has been going on since before
> email...

Another way I used to get someone else's mail was we
had part of our "real" names the same.  I jokingly
called myself Schuyler "The Troll" Stultz.  (Hey, it
was in college and some friends called me Troll.)
Someone else on the same UNIX machine had a real name
that also include "The".  The mailer (sendmail
<shiver>) program tried to be nice and would send any
mail meant for either of us to both of us.  But like
Ryan sais, this is the mailer program, and nothing to
do with the routers...

=====
--
Schuyler Stultz