[at-l] Technology on the trail...LONG..

We are on the same page. I like the cell phone for emergency use, and will
never use it (again) to call home given the real intrusion it is for me and
for those I would call. I also took a weather radio but also with FM on my
last section. I liked knowing the weather problems I was looking at were as
bad as I thought they were. I regretted turning to NPR and learning about
Santana High School shootings and our VP's "normal" coronary stent
occlusion. I really didn't need to know that others were stupid out there.

Wilderness has more to do with frame of mind and ability to deal with the
environment. Wilderness can be in the Bronx, for instance, if you are
looking for educated reasonable people. ;-) If we were really after
wilderness experiences, we would put on loin cloths and carry little gear
as we dealt with nature on equal terms. I am glad that folks get out there
and share what is available in nature, even if I have to hear Momsie call
Buffie from the top of Springer on her Nokia PDA combo.

OrangeBug