[at-l] Gear List

keep the candle until it is warm out... i used the candle to help heat up my
alchohol stove when my water started freezing ... i seem to be the only
person that had this problem but i coudl nto for the life of me get alchohol
to light when cold. had to use a match or candle to ignite it ... a lighter
jsut woudl nto work. maybe i had crappy alchol or something it was shellac
thinner 100% pure.. i dunno

i woudl drop the lantern .

as for maps i enjoy having maps for many reason mostly for my own enjoyment
and sense of mind i tried with and with out a compass is nice too and you
can get really sheapo light ones jsut for lining up the maps and stuff if
you are into that thing not good enough for orienteering or antyhing but
(toy).  and got lost once with out them.

unless you need the cup for some reason ..tea drinker? drop it and use your
pot for that too.

cool a flute what kind?

the pen make sure it work on damp paper and does not smear might consider
testing on damp paper.

you can go with out tp but i personally like it.  you can do the european
water thing

store your stove in you pot.. and if you are afraid of it scratching your
pot. pout it in a small bag or a kitchen towel or soemthing soft like a
bandanna.

might i suggest a metal spoon...  i had a plastic spoon and i HATED eating
icecream with it ... the metal spoons cut into icecream much better.. you
can also bend the metall spoon and do cool stuff with it. like pick up red
hot stuff. go to a grocver and buy a cheap lightweight one  $0.45

put a 1 liter bottle of somethign good to drink(i choice soda soem choose
beer) and a cold cut sandwhich too... that alwasy seemed to end up in my
pack. and it was worth every step for a special dinner out of town to defeat
the town drag.. whic i was horrid for escaping from ... in the happy hiker
hostel i was kindly told to get out so i woudl continue. casue i started
building a rock wall for him

i foudn a scissor was mostly what i used and this mini leatherman thing or
similar works as a better tool then my small pocket knife did. it has a
beefier scissor

i personally hate disposable cameras you are better off with a cheap 10-20
dollar camera from wally world and rolls of film in my opinion. i got a 10
dolal rcamera on the trail with all that panaromic stuff. in rutland vermont

that is a very very heavy pack but sure is comfrotable try a kelty trekker.
it is lightish but not really and i find it to be very comfortable. i wish i
had external when it was warm out.  i foudn nothgin on the north end that
was hard to do with external packs as the guy i hiked with most of the way
had a kelty tioga. and he did from georgia to stratton mountain with an
external too. external is the forgotten pack type and perfectly usable and
sometimes better. or you can go much lighter and go internal.

wisperlight.

> 001.0 Reading Glasses
> 000.4 Tin Can Stove (Free from the Tin Can Stove Man Super Hero)
> 000.7 Bic Lighter, half full
> 022.6 Shelter (siliconized nylon tarp, my own first design; there's some
weight savings in my imagined second attempt)*
> 029.2 Hammock in stuff sack (0.5 oz) (double "marina" from
Wallyworld/Kmart, $13.00 on sale)*
> 004.8 Cord, in ditty bag (o.3 oz)
> 012.8 Cooking pot w/ lid*
> 002.5 Cup*
> 001.3 Flute (toy)
> 000.4 Pen, Uniball Vision, fine point ($0.00 stolen from the office)
> 003.2 TP in zip lock bag**
> 002.2 Tea candle lantern, dirty ** (Wallyword or sports authority @ $6.00)
> 000.6 Tea candle **
> 003.0 Crush resistant box (Old balsa wood tea box) (to carry the candle
lantern & Tin Can Man Stove) **
> 001.5 Flashlight & Clip w/ 2 AAA Titanium batteries (Underwater Kinetics,
$6 @ Wally World)
> And it doesn't include:         a spoon,
>                                             my little knife (I think my
kid stole it!),
>                                             a notebook (toy)
>                                             a little Shambala book or two
(toy)
>                                             map (a toy and/or security
blanket)**
>                                             a disposable camera (toy)
>                                             fuel . . . moving toward
everclear
>                                             water
>                                             food (includes lamb and
spices!)
>                                             my REI telescoping walking
poles
>                                             clothing
>                                             or Rx
>
> My back pack is Dana's K2 shortbed external frame, too heavy, I know; so
I'm looking around and thinking seriously about this