[at-l] Sorry...was sharp 20

At 11:11 PM 4/30/01 +0000, Trail Dude wrote:

>Kahley,
>     BTW, I love the name Kahley (pronounced Kaylee ?).

Oh crips....not again!   ROTFLMSAO
Being new, you wouldn't know that the pronunciation of my name has cause
more misunderstanding than cellphones.  LOL
I have decided that this year it will be pronounce Kali as in the Vaishnavian Goddess
mea culpa to the celts......

>That being said let me tell you your full of sh*t.  Just kidding!!!

On occasion.fer sure!  Maybe even today!

>     I no longer carry the phone with me for many reasons.  Most of them you stated (weight, bad reception, no need for it) but I've also read a lot recently about how offensive some folks find them on the trail.  I hadn't see the debate omongst y'all so I thought I'd ask.  I wasn't trying to make Ken or anyone else feel guilty.

Oh wow...does guilt work?  If so, then all you people who insist on carrying whisperlouds
FEEL GUILTY!!!!  And you hammockers too <G>

Truthfully, I find the noise of those stoves much more irritating than cellphones yet no
one has ever tried to make a rule saying you can only light a whisperlight in the privy
or out of sight or smell (I wish).  See, that's the problem i have with all these controversy.
It seems only certain accoutrements or acts come under scrutiny.  I challenge anyone
to say they hear move cellphones than stove racket.  Or that they smell more cigarette
smoke that petrol stink.  OK...that one might be 50/50.  But I hope you get the point.
Some things are irritating to some people and suddenly people are tempted to feel
guilt for using them?
Hey..whaddo I know.....I'm not a regular AT hiker.  A lot of this is theory to me.  But
theory based on real life values.  If it's legal, you or anyone of us has the right to do
what ever they wish on the trail without guilt.  It is the offended person's choice to
get over it, move outta there, and if sufficiently outraged, attempt to put an end to it
by legal means.

The offender gets to risk being thought rude, crude or generally an ass*hole and suffer
the consequences of being considered poor company.  But if we start trying to behave
in a manner that will not disturb anyone, then let me list what you could not do in
order to protect me from upset.  No singing.....no instruments.....no sports talk or
political talk....in fact....no talking.....no chewing tobacco...no wrinkling your nose
at the smell of cigarettes on my clothes..no whisperlouds or petrol stoves of any kind.....
no unzipping the tent at 3AM (it doesn't matter if you do it fast or slow, it's still gonna
wake me)....no snoring....no peeing behind the shelter.....no coming in late or
bitching when i leave early....no out hiking me......do not be too fit....NO LEKIS.
In fact, stay the hell away from the Trail so I and my dogs can hike in piece.

OK....now everyone who isn't willing to do all the above feel guilty.  Does that help?

Just trying to make the point that I can't always get my own way.  No one can.
If you forgo your phone for the 20% that hate the sight, will you forgo your lekis
for the next 20 percent who hate the noise or yada yada yada.

If there are people who, for their own reasons, dislike some piece of gear you
carry or some behavior you do, in the end it's NOT YOUR PROBLEM.  You can
go the extra yard and be polite and courteous.  That will help keep people from
thinking you are a jerk, but feeling guilty about a cellphone?  Puleeeze.

I hereby promise I did not scowl while writing this....in fact the thought of a trail
without whisperlouds always brings a smile to my face <VVVBSEG>

>      For I am a lover of technology and engineering.  I find myself more interested, many times, in historical remnants of man on the trail than I am at all those trees and rocks.  While dayhiking a few weeks back I got to the east (north) side of Leihigh Gap and looked down at the truncated ends of the railroad bridge for probably 20 minutes wondering just how much work (both design and build) it must have been to span that gap.  I also found the whole mining area fascinating, in a way.
>
>      I am fairly new to the AT and am still forming opinions (of course, not everything needs an opinion).  So, when I ask questions they come from a position of sincere interest...not a judgemental one.
>
>Dachs
>

>>From: kahley7 <kahley7@ptd.net>
>>To: "Trail Dude" <dachsnj@hotmail.com>,at-l@backcountry.net
>>Subject: Re: [at-l] Sorry...was sharp 20
>>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:41:57 -0500
>>
>>At 10:05 PM 4/30/01 +0000, Trail Dude wrote:
>>t if someone states a dissenting opinion then they have to try and convince them their wrong.
>>

>>Hmmm.....well I'll step out and invite you to convince me or at least explain.
>>I may be all mixed up with my attributions and if so ..please s'cuse.
>>
>>Remember....I am not scowling as I type.....picture quizzical...definitely interested
>>(just to set the mood here <g>.  Was it you that said you stopped carrying a
>>phone because it took away from your sense of detachment?  That's the point
>>that hangs me up....
>>Now this is tricky territory so please don't take offense but is it that you don't
>>trust yourself not to be on the phone all the time?
>>
>> >    What I was looking for was for folks to perform more of a show of hands.
>>
>>Hmmm...don't have a cellphone anymore and when I did, it was too heavy to
>>carry and where I go, it didn't work anyway.  If I had it and it worked and was
>>light, I would carry it.  I would not be offended at the sight of one.  I would be
>>no more upset to hear someone talking on one at a view than I would be at
>>someone talking to another person at a view.  Personally, I'd probably rather
>>be alone or with my fellows at the view, without strangers intruding but ya
>>can't always get what you want <g>.
>>
>>On the other hand....when I did have a cellphone, I deliberately stopped
>>turning it one or enabling the system that automatically forwarded calls
>>from the studio to the cell phone.  I was not at work and I did not want
>>my time away to be diminished by issues "not of the moment".
>>
>>I maintained my choice to choose when and where I would detach myself
>>while retaining the ability to connect if the need arose.  Then the phone
>>died and I never replaced it.  Which brings me back to my question
>>as to why you feel you would not feel detached if you carried a phone,
>>if ya don't mind me asking while wearing a friendly grin. k
>>
>>---

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---