[at-l] Technology on the trail WAS Re: Sharp TM 20s

Have to agree with Karen here. I do not think Ken was
trolling. It was a reasonable question, no different
than say down vs. synthetic in a sleeping bag.

While I would not want to use TM-20 in the woods
(prefer pen and paper myself), I am not Ken.

I think the same rules apply to computers and phones
in the wood as say a radio. Use it discreetly, try not
to bother people when using it, and above all enjoy
the hike.

The AT is the illusion of wilderness. In the years
ahead, when portable computer and phone technology
gets extremely advanced and affordable, there will be
more electronics in the woods. To keep this illusion
of wilderness, electronic users should be aware of
this need for non-electronic users to at least
maintain the semblance of wilderness and solitude. The
electronic devices can be a stark reminder that we are
not too far from a town, a road, and our life back in
the office. Making the call to mom in a tent goes a
long way to making everyone happy.

And us non-electronic users? Try not to go on a jihad
when you see somemone calling to Mom in the middle of
Maine. Not worth it to yell and scream and spoil your
trip..is it?  If it really bothers you, a simple
"please" and "thankyou" goes a much longer way in
achieving what you want than making rude remarks and
curt phrases ever will.

Mags

=====