[at-l] Glasses

At 10:43 PM 4/27/01 -0400, James P. Lynch wrote:
>Hi,
>    I'm a glasses wearer and have recently 'graduated' to bifocals.

Bifocals and hiking don't go together well. I'm near sighted and my focus
range without spectacles is about 24" to 8-10' so I don't use them going
down hill. If you're farsighted I don't know how you'd deal with it. I see
well enough to drive home without them if necessary.

>My current frames are a bit flimsy and I've had to try to repair them on
>occasion on the trail.
>    Question:  what are folks' experiences with glasses?  Is there a
>style/brand of frame that seems 'tougher' for trail use?  Is a hard case
>a good idea (I've been using a soft case)?

I always wear metal framed glasses. I don't carry repair tools and so far
have never needed them. I once set my glasses on the back of my car while
taking my pack off and then shut the trunk on them bending them badly but
they didn't break. If you can afford them, they make frames that are quite
flexible and will take a lot of abuse without breaking.

What you do need: A clean dry cloth for cleaning your glasses after your
sweat drips down them. In cool weather you need an anti-fog agent. They
sell special stuff (Cat Crap, and other brands) but I'm told you can get
the same effect by cleaning them with dish washing detergent then wiping
them dry *without rinsing the remaining soap off*. I haven't tried that
trick yet so I can't vouch for it. I also like a strap so I can pull them
off and let them hang from my neck. On a thru-hike I'd have a spare pair in
a bounce box.

The *best* solution would be if they'd figure out how to transplant a pair
of 20/20 eyeballs. Glasses are a nuisance.