[at-l] Appalachia visited....

At 12:12 AM 4/25/01 -0400, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
>Not far from the trail (related) and an interesting story...........
>
>By the time the next census rolls around, there may not be anyone left in
>this old coal town sitting atop an underground mine fire that has burned for
>nearly four decades.

Bill Bryson talked about this in A WALK IN THE WOODS. After he and Katz
gave up on thru-hiking he spent the rest of the season exploring the
Appalachian chain in a series of day hikes and drives. This is one of the
places he went to and wrote about.

I don't mean to restart the "But he didn't thru-hike" thread. I know he
didn't. He never said he did. It's a good read anyway. I enjoyed the other
stuff he wrote about including the above.

Saunterer