[at-l] 4/25/01 Maine Rose news

To the AT, ALDHA, PATH, and WomenHikers listserves:

	On Monday the 23rd I spoke to Maine Rose on the telephone
and here's an update on the state of affairs.
	Most importantly, Bev is not in pain and her mind is still
sharp as a tack.  I was fumbling for a word at one point and she
came up with it instantly.  The rest of her body, however, is not
cooperating.  Her voice is somewhat slurred, she says she has a patch
over one eye, she is unable to read, she cannot walk, the left side
of her body is not operating, etc.
	I can only guess at her emotional condition.  She did say she's
looking into end-of-life considerations, including the benefits of
Hospice.  Her son Raviv is graduating from high school, so they are
planning on moving the celebration up a little, even if the principal
can't move the actual awarding of the diploma.  Her daughter Saretta
is a college sophomore.
	She will most likely continue radiation treatments although
they don't expect it to buy her more time.  Her sisters are planning
outings for her and they were going to a lobster restaurant the evening
of the day I talked to her.  The most exciting thing they have planned
is a float plane trip above the AT in Maine, including a couple of
landings in the ponds/lakes.  I think that idea pleased her immensely.
	Some folks have asked if there were a "cause" we could donate to
for Rosie.  Would you support collecting donations toward the expense of
her AT float plane trip?  I'd be happy to collect funds and send them to
her family on behalf of her friends and fellow-hikers on the listserves.
Contact me off-list at lpatton@mailer.fsu.edu with your feelings on the
matter.
	You can continue to send cards, letters, and packages to her at:
Beverly Hugo, 10 Codman Street, Portland, ME 04103.
	If you want to send flowers, they can be delivered to: Cedars
Nursing Care Center, 630 Ocean Ave, Portland.  I've been using Dyers
Flower Shop  in Portland, toll-free 888-923-0195.
	That's all for now.
	-- eArThworm