[at-l] Trail Fest and didn't see you! Update on Earl S.

> Speaking of which - I had a great time too, but saw no one from the list
> except Bethany and Miss Janet!!  Where the heck is site 461, Uncle Milt?

I heard that you were there and looked around for you.  Actually two people,
including Uncle Milt, (and don't ask me who else...crazy weekend!) asked
what you looked like and if you really had red hair.  You missed most of the
action since you got there so late, but Saturday was really great!  We
stayed right by Uncle Milt and David Addleton (who arrived late Satuday
too).  Now...we found the site with no problem.  Are you worse at finding
things than we are?  Not possible!

The highlight of the trip, for me, was when we were invited to dinner
Saturday night at Elmer's.  We do manage some "fringe benefits" when my dh
is performing (with N.N. this time only).  We had dinner with some
fascinating folks, including Miss Janet (what a sweetie!), N.N., and, best
of all Earl Shaffer!  Earl is really failing and talked to me about how bad
his heart is.  He did not want to do the slide show this time and I don't
think he will be doing any more of them (unless he is "forced".  His brother
and sister in law really pushed him to do it this time.  He said that he
just wanted to sleep.  It was almost impossible to hear him at the show
until my dh brought in his "Crate" (acoustic hookup or whatever you call it)
and Earl used the microphone and could be heard that way.  It was an
incredible treat to see Earl's slides from 1948 as this was my first time.
I was so impressed by Earl and how sharp his mind remains...but the body is
failing.  At 83, I guess that isn't too unusual.  He still lives alone,
never married etc.  I could not help but feel so sad for this amazing man
who has done so much for all of us.

Hummingbird