[at-l] Wanchor Report

Jon just called from the Nantahala Outdoor Center (Wesser, NC). =A0He was gl=
ad=20
he made it in time to have breakfast, get his mail, pack supplies, do some=20
minor shopping and still have lunch. =A0(Ahhh, town food!) =A0

Says he's feeling fine, not too achy and still making 20/mi/day. =A0

The highlight of this stop was shaking hands with Janet Reno. =A0She and her=
=20
sister were there to do some whitewater rafting. =A0Jon introduced himself a=
s a=20
fellow Florida Trail member; we've noticed her name on the list of renewing=20
members every year. She said she'd be getting more involved with FT soon.=20
=A0(Was that a polite brush off or did she mean it????)=20

Joan, Commanding Officer
Hiker Logistic Supply Command HQ=20

Homefront observation:  Jon is being VERY careful not to open his=20
conversations with some chore or logistics demand.  On the PCT he was known=20
to open these phone conversations with something like, "Don't send any more=20=
6=20
oz cans of tuna." or "Don't send bagels made without preservatives."  Made m=
e=20
feel like the signature line above.  I DO realize that coming in to town he=20
was focused on what he needed to tell me about logistics.  It just didn't=20
feel very good to have the obligatory "I miss you" tagged on to the=20
conversation like an afterthought.  (Let this be a lesson to future=20
thruhikers:  the hometeam needs some tending too.  A loving opening line goe=
s=20
a long way.)

multipart/alternative
  text/html