[at-l] The AT is not really wilderness...

You are absolutely right.  The GC is not so much more remote as it is just more inhospitable.  I also recall my last trip, which was in December of '99.  I went down the Tanner to Tanner Beach and Back and never saw a single other person the whole trip.  But you're right its no Denali.

,

>CC:

>Subject: Re: [at-l] The AT is not really wilderness...

>Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:59:06 -0500

> > Having hiked in the back country of the Grand Canyon, I can't bring myself

>to consider a hike on the AT to be a wilderness adventure. Far from it.

>You can hardly be in the wilderness when you cross a road several times a

>day (in most parts). However, I do strongly believe that hiking the AT is a

>nature adventure.

>Hey Guy, hi:)

>I too have hiked many miles in the back country of the Grand Canyon. To me,

>that is the most unwilderness place that I have ever spent ten to twelve

>days in at a time.... True, you can't hear traffic most of the time but you

>only have a hike and a climb to be out and you know it. The Grand Canyon is

>not wilderness and I am not talking about Bright Angel and South Kaibab

>either. I have been all over. Granted, like you, I love the ridge views

>when hiking but those are nearly never on the AT. I really do think that

>Bill would have a few problems in the Canyon though but usually get bored

>every time I hike in there so I think that I will stop for a few years.....

http://explorer.msn.com

text/html (html body -- converted)
---