[at-l] The AT is not really wilderness...

I would love to do Maine, any season is fine (except black fly season!).  I grew up in WI and find the winter here in NJ too mild.  Lots 'o snow this last year but nothing very cold in the temp dept.
I almost made it up Maine's way this winter.  I was supposed to do a trek in the Whites this past Feb.  Sadly, it fell apart when the group leader couldn't get away and nobody else felt like taking over.  I was really loking forward to it.

>From: Slyatpct@aol.com

>To: dachsnj@hotmail.com, at-l@backcountry.net

>Subject: Re: [at-l] The AT is not really wilderness...

>Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:35:39 EDT

>In a message dated 4/21/2001 8:14:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

>dachsnj@hotmail.com writes:

> > Having hiked in the back country of the Grand Canyon, I can't bring myself

> > to consider a hike on the AT to be a wilderness adventure. Far from it.

> > You can hardly be in the wilderness when you cross a road several times a

> > day (in most parts)........

> > ...... I first section hiked all of NJ last fall. Since then I have been

> > into southern New York and Northern PA.

>If you're looking for a wilderness experience on the AT try hiking the entire

>state of Maine during the winter. I think you'll find it a much different

>experience than you've had in the mid Alantic.

>Sly

http://explorer.msn.com

text/html (html body -- converted)
---