[at-l] cell phone for emergencies

Thanks for the advice, but it is not what I will do.  I am philosophically
opposed to taking it on the trail.  I don't consider the inconvenience of
being found immediately as an adequate definition of an "emergency" to take
the phone.  I know I titled my e-mail lising as "emergency notification",
but I have been told that a person can almost always be reached for a
message within 48 hours, so I don't want to be tempted to use the phone for
other purposes.  You can read my feelings about that on my website if you
wish:   http://www.oc.edu/staff/phil.heffington

Actually, I make pretty good use of the cell phone, even though I leave it
at home.  We pay for a block of 500 minutes of use to call anywhere in the
U.S., so I usually call my cell phone left with my wife, and then hang up
after the first two rings.  She immediately uses the call back feature and
this allows us to use the time we are paying for already.  I try to call in
whenever I pass another phone, and this has worked pretty well in the past.