[at-l] Emergency notifications

I'm heading out for my fourth May-long hike (actually beginning April 30th),
hoping to hike from Montebello, VA to Port Clinton, PA.  My father-in-law is
now 94 years old, and in fairly poor health.  Other than what I'm listing
below, does anyone have some good suggestions on the quickest way my wife
can get a message to me in case there is a death in the family?  BTW, I'm
not taking a cell phone.

1.  Leave a good hiking agenda with my wife so she will know where I'm
planning to be on any given night.

2.  Check in back home whenever I pass an available phone.

3.  Have her contact the ATC  to get assistance in trying to contact me.

4.  Have my son, who lives in Manassas, VA, be available to drive to a
"cut-off" point to try to intercept me.