From: RoksnRoots@aol.com <RoksnRoots@aol.com>
To: Slyatpct@aol.com <Slyatpct@aol.com>
Cc: AT-L@mailman.backcountry.net <AT-L@mailman.backcountry.net>
Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 1:10 AM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Pole damage

In a message dated 4/18/01 12:52:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Slyatpct
writes:

<< So the rock on the trail had scratches on it?  Bummer. Better rubber tip
crampons too.

Sly >>

   Where do you draw the line? A wise trail concerned person would see the
writing on the rocks so- to speak. Crampons are for winter when they are
needed. Obvious apparent scratches in the rocks are telling you something is
happening further down. Frivilous opinions do nothing to help the problem.
It
is only an excuse to do nothing and not have to react, which is always the
easiest way...

     A wise Trail gnome once said to me in a moment of quiet AT ledge
contemplation - "where you see damage, damage is happening..."

    It would be more helpful for the Trail to just use the tips...