[at-l] Back to the Whites

When I responded to Gary I forgot to include the list for comments on
some stuff below. --RD

>And when I finally get to upper Vermont, do I cut across on US 302/NH 10
>and drop down on the Notch from above? Remember, I have to stop at
>Lafayette Campground and get a parking permit for the Liberty Springs
>Trailhead (I think).
>
>Thanks in advance. I got reservations at Galehead for Sunday night, for
>Mizpah for Tuesday (last reservation left for each, and this in April
>for July!) and Carter Notch for Thursday. This way I get a bit of both
>worlds. Wanted Madison for a night above treeline but it is FULL already
>for 7/25 so I will have to struggle on to Osgood tentsite.

If I was doing it I wouldn't travel as far North on Rt 91 as Rt 302.
Instead I'd get off at Hanover and then go N on Rt 10 to Orford, then
E on 25A, then N on Rt 118 through Warren and on to N. Woodstock. I
love the backwoods feel of these areas although it's not as fast as
Rt 302. Another advantage you might find some thruhikers where the
trail crosses at Hanover and at 25A (near the former Atwell Hilton,
Dizzy B's). You could also look in at the hostel in Glencliff
(formerly Fancy Free's), about 5 miles out of your way from Warren.

The NF parking fee is being protested by some actively in the Whites.
Last year I ignored the fee program by parking about 12 nights
without a permit (all in different locations). Didn't receive a
ticket, but it was in Sept. after the big tourist flux. I used to
have a url for a group that recommended placing a card on your car
stating why you refused to pay the parking fee. The site claimed that
no one was being prosecuted. Perhaps someone on the list has a better
recollection of the site, and the url.

Lastly, the huts very often have cancellations and usually can
accomodate one person even in mid summer. I wouldn't be surprised if
Madison will accomodate you if you check in with them before going
down to Osgood. I don't know you or your hiking abilities but an
average hiker _will _not_ be able to go from Mizpah to Osgood in one
day. You could tell them you're doing a long section and might even
get work-for-stay. (It helps if you smell and look like a thruhiker).

There are other options along the way too - The Perch, Gray Knob,
Crag Camp, and the 'other' campsite (I think it's down the Valley Way
trail, does someone else remember?). These are all legal options, and
then there are the not-so-legal ones that I've employed from
time-to-time. btw, the very best guide to these spots for the Whites
was posted last year in the hostel at Glencliff. Was it ever posted
to this list?

--
Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH