[at-l] Back to the Whites

"cosmo catalano, jr." wrote:

> Gary--
>         I'd be wary of I-84 near the weekend.  It get's pretty slow
> thru Danbury to Hartford.  I'd go on up I-87 to I-90 (Mass Pike) East
> to I-91 then 91 up to St. Johnsbury to cut over to the Whites.   You
> can also order a parking permit by mail and save the stop.

MsGorp points out that if I park at the Liberty Springs Trailhead it is
on NH state park land and not subject to WMNF fees. Smart Cyn - and
pretty too.

> As always of course, you could take Mass Rt2 between 87 and 91 and
> stop by Billsville any time for a snack or shower.

I am beginning to have good feelings about Williamstowm ;) That might be
an option on the way back - of course I would call first.

> Also the schlep past Lake of the Crowds to Osgood is a significant
> stretch and the last 5 miles (from Madison summit to Osgood) are
> seriously and relentlessly down hill.

You're about the fifth to warn me. I'm thinking about investing in pitons
and rope ;)

But I am still hoping to get into Madison Hut. I will practice looking
pathetic. Actually, as you know, at the end of a long day hiking I DO
look pathetic. Maybe they will let me sleep on their porch. Any good
stealth spots trail north of there?

> If you can't do Lakes, I'd
> consider a descent to The Perch (about half way between Lakes and
> Madison, but below tree line).  A PITA to go down that far, but
> remember if you have good weather you are going to want to linger on
> the trail, and if the weather sucks, you don't want to be stuck up
> there for a 14 hr day.  Stitches or Mags could probably give you a
> more accurate assessment, I haven't been that route in a while.

I've heard from both, bless 'em.

> We're still on for May 4th?,

For sure! First major hike of what I hope will be a great year. If all
goes to plan, I will finish MA, CT, NY and GA this year.

- Gary from Fairfax