[at-l] Back to the Whites

 Mags wrote:

> Yes, serious downhill is quite the description. That can be a long day if
> you do not like downhills/are not in good shape.

I don't love downhills. The Whites give a whole new meaning to the word
"downhill", anyway. I am NEVER in shape. Sigh. So it will be a long day.

> That section of the
> Presies is gorgeous, so if you have the time and do not want to push
> yourself too much, the Perch is a good option.

As I wrote Mara, if I have to bail out for safety I will. But if I bail to the
Perch, I will have an extra 1000' feet to climb back on Thursday, plus still
having to get to Carter Notch Hut by nightfall. I MUST be on that 9:20 AM
shuttle on Saturday in Gorham, to get back to work in DC by Monday.

> The Perch also has the advantage of having a great view. AND, the RT2 part
> of the Whites is nowhere used as much as the RT16 side...

But I am not trying to explore the Whites (at least not on this trip). I am
trying to hike the AT. I am a section hiker. I need this section. I would LOVE
to spend months exploring the Whites (like I have spent years exploring
Shenandoah NP - I could show you NEAT places there) but I still need to hike the
Nantahalas (5 days), the southern Smokies (6), finish up 120 miles of MA, CT &
NY(8 days),  fill in from Stratton Pond to Franconia (10 days) AND THEN hike ALL
of Maine (oh boy - Maine - the cherry on the Sundae!).

Look for trip reports to come ;)

It takes a day and a half EACH WAY to get to these places now from northern
Virginia. Each trip pretty much means using a week of leave. I would like to
finish while I still have knees, say 2 more years after this. If I bail out
(which mind you I may have to) I will have to come back and pick up this section
some other time. Might as well do it now.

> Go for it.  The Colorado mountains are great...but the Whites will always be
> my spiritual home.
>
> Mags

The way I feel about the Southern Appalachian Highlands :)

- Gary from Fairfax