[at-l] Thru-hike as Sabbatical?

-----Original Message-----
From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Snodrog5@aol.com

>> Request for leave denied. Reason: Leave is for worthwhile purposes only.
>>thruhike is not 'worthwhile'? Maybe if I had said it was for a marriage
>>sabbatical they would've approved it!

Sorry to hear the thru-hike request was turned down. :(

The sad truth is that for most of the population, taking off for 6 mos to go
backpacking is considered frivolous at best, making you lazy and good for
nothing at worse.  But, if you go in hock for 6 years to finance a Lexus
SportUte that is well above your means, well, you are a good American. :)

It is why I love the hiking lists, Gatherings,etc. We all think it is pretty
normal to hike for some odd reason... :)

Mags (who plans on being frivolous for as long as I can! )

The true harvest of my life is intangible... a little star-dust caught, a
segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.
--Thoreau

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!