[at-l] Pole damage

In a message dated 4/17/01 1:10:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lubitz@alpha.fdu.edu writes:

<< In the Wanchor report the subject of trail damage from sticks came up
 again.  I wonder if the spikes on the tips could actually do some good.
 since most of the damage from hikers, as I understand it, is caused by
 soil compaction, then the metal tips would chew up the compacted soil.
 This of course assumes that the tips stay within the boundaries of the
 trail.  having written what goes against CW, I have surrounded my modem
 with spare re-entry tiles from the space shuttle.

       *** And an improper entry angle will assure a hot entry. This is just
convenient excuse making.

     This is specious logic. The Trail erodes almost invisibly. Just look at
badly eroded areas like the Smokies. You can't really see the damage that
caused that, yet it happened slowly over the years.

     Thinking that reversing compaction is a clever way of looking at it is
silly. The trailbed reverses that norm and compaction is GOOD within it.
Hardened soil acts to prevent quick erosion in the trail. You don't want to
break it up as you see with Lekis. Any damage you can SEE is high intensity
wear and cannot be construed as beneficial in any way.

    It doesn't get that deep, though, and most people see themselves as
approved as long as it is sold and available (see ATV's).

    Use rubber tips.