[at-l] Weekend Hike

Bogey and I had a wonderful weekend trip from Gathland to Harper's Ferry and
back.  It was wonderful to sleep on the ground again and hear the wind in
the trees;
feel the sun on our faces and see the trees sprouting leaves.  The Garvey
shelter is the best.  It has room for at least 16; A loft with windows, the
neatest prettiest privy in the east and birds singing all around the place.
Too bad the spring is a steep .4 mile downhill but then some rain must fall.
Did I mention the large table and benches?  We slept in the woods in the
tent in spite of all the amentities.  HF was full of tourists.  The Potomac
was bank full and moving like a freight train.  The canal was loaded with
turtles sunning themselves on the branches lying across the canal.  The best
was the burgers and fries at the little food place on the street nearest the
RR station although Bogey and I had to juggle for a seat there.  The
tourists were so tired from their walk around town.  We met three young
British guys at Garvey Shelter who were on a trip to USA for the inbetween
time of school and college.  Very polite and well spoken.  They have no
poisonious spiders or snakes in England, so they said, and they were a bit
anxious about them here.  Of course we told them the black widow grows 7 ft
long here and they jump out of the trees to consume their victims.  Then the
snakes that creep up on a hiker and just swallow him whole and spit out the
pack later are  enough to keep anyone out of the woods. NO! We didn't lie to
them!  We told them that nothing out here actually hunts people (except
other people) and their chances of running into a vicious spider or snake
were nearly nil.  It was a great hike.  They took off to Niagara Falls that
night after we saw them off on the Amtrak.
Love the sound of train whistles.   Heard them all night long on the
mountain.  Ah, life is too good.
SLIM
Have a Happy Day,
SLIM aka Nancy