[at-l] Off topic computer update

At 11:36 AM 4/14/01 -0500, kahley7 wrote:
>Well I have swapped cables, reloaded drivers and tried the printer on another
>computer with no progress.
>My question now seems to be is there something that could go wrong with a
>computer that could "toast"  scanners and printers?  Two printers and a
>scanner
>in four months is making me suspicious.   Or maybe I just want an excuse
>to buy a new puter <g>
>Seriously.....can a glitchey computer destroy peripherals?

I doubt it. Have you tried connecting them to a different PC to see if they
work?

>And I could use some guidance if I shop for a new computer.  This time I
>want to buy smart.
>I want something that can handle a lot of graphics programs so I can get
>back to AT-O
>without crashing every hour.  What features would i look for in a system
>to allow such
>use?  I understand processor speed and HD size and RAM but get lost in
>buses except
>I think that is the weak link or the narrow place in the pipeline to speed?

RAM is the real key when you are doing graphics. If you are swapping to a
cache file then access time for your Hard Drive is important too.

>Do any of the manufacturers really offer good tech support or would I be
>better off
>going with one of those custom jobbies that are sooooo cheap on ebay?

Dell offers very good support, but my view of Dell comes from their
terrific response to me as a LAN Admin for the State who pays them big
bucks for an ongoing service contract. I don't know if they are as
solicitous to the average consumer.

>And I've heard that while ME has some advantages, that is also pretty glitchy.
>I have soooo had it with glitchy.  Would i be better off with 98 or 98NE
>
>And if a puter doesn't come with a zip drive can one be installed?  Or
>would it be
>better to get a CD writer and use that for back up?.

Zip drives can be installed either internally or externally after the
original purchase. An internal Zip drive is nearly as fast as a hard drive
but the Zip disks are a bit pricey. An external can allow you to use it
with more than one PC. That can be handy. A CD writer is cool if you get a
good program for writing CDs (not the lame one that comes with the unit).
Roxio's EZ CD Creator is good. The blank CDs are about 30 cents each if you
buy them in bulk at BJ's Wholesale or a similar place. The decision may
come down to what kind of drives do the people you are swapping files with
use. If no one, I'd go with the CD drive as the best choice for long term
storage.

Saunterer