[at-l] Tents that are really for two?

-----Original Message-----
From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Matthew W.

>>I am starting to plan my thru-hike for next spring and am interested in
the
>>idea of tarping as an alternative to carrying a tent.  What are the
>>advantages, disadvantages?  Anyone have a tips or recommendations that
would

Traditionally, the disadvnatage of tarps are that they are not as
weatherproof, let bugs in, not as warm, harder to set up.

Those were my excuses before I started tarping.

However, I have found those facts to be myths  once I was comftorable using
a tarp.  Have used my tarp when it has been snowing out, and stayed dry in
some nasty downpours. The trick is to put up your tarp based on the kind of
weather you may have, and the terrain you are currently in. With practice, a
tarp can set up more quickly than a tent. As far as bugs? A little no-see-um
netting does wonders.  I would not want to use a tarp above treeline in
winter, but for three season use, I am convert to tarping.

The advantage of a tarp? Less weight, more ventilation and something more on
an aesthetic note: when I use a tent now, I feel all closed in. In fact,
since I have started using a tarp, have slept out under the stars more.

Of course, I am now living out in Colorado where it is less humid than my
old stomping grounds of New England.  However, I still would not hesitate to
use a tarp back East.

If you want to use a tarp, get some practice.  Though not rocket science,
using a tarp is not as intuitive as using a tent. The start of thru-hike is
not the best time to practice using a tarp. :-)
With a little practice, you may never want to tent again.

Then again, this is just my opinion. You may hate tarping, and prefer a
tent. Just get some weekends in before the big event to find what you are
comftorable with.

The true harvest of my life is intangible... a little star-dust caught, a
segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.
--Thoreau

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!