[at-l] Letting The Devil In...

I agree that there should be little or no *development* on or near the
trail.<>

***Good. That was the core theme of the original project in 1937. MacKaye was
a long range visionary who anticipated the exact situation we are now
experiencing. He was wise enough to give no trust to the ever rapacious
status quo using politics, economic theory, and basically sophisticated
excuses to surge further into nature with development. Undeveloped nature, to
these free marketeers, is simply the cheapest, most defenseless ground for
seeking further construction/taxation slog profits. The theme of the Trail
Project has not changed at all. In fact, it is even more needed now than
ever. We, unfortunately, have fallen back into complacency thinking the AT is
set -it isn't!

<Finally, who's to say that wilderness itself is the end-all? Benton
Mackaye's vision for the A.T. was as a retreat from civilization, but it
specifically did include self-sustaining micro-villages (retreats) all along
the length of it, where people would farm, practice crafts, and so on. That
idea, sadly, went nowhere.

The sort of wilderness you seek may well be found on the other long trails
out West. I wouldn't know.>

***Sorry, but this is pure equivocation. Taking an alternate view for balance
is nice, but sometimes the onus requires full implementation of your view
unhindered by mitigation. Such is the case with the Trail. Saying "the Trail
ain't wilderness" is foolish and not worth serious consideration. If the
Trail is fragmented, then we need to save what is left, not falter in
speculation letting the rest slide into irretrievable compromise through
indifference.

What is most important is the clear need to save what little is left of the
corridor in order to have something similar to virgin wilds left after the
full scale land destruction we call our GNP is done. You are sticking your
head in the sand if you think that isn't presently happening all around you.
The way they look at it is, "well, if it's all going down anyway, I might as
well get my piece of the action."

I cringe when I hear of condos being built in view of old shelters in
Pennsylvania because it means that the Trail wasn't given the respect it
deserved by all involved. The developers simply look at it as a game now and
where they can't ransom the land, they will build if they aren't stopped.
These people do not deserve the defense of fairness you extend to them,
because if it was left to them they would build right over the Trail as they
are presently doing everywhere else.

We are at a point now in mankind's evolution where promoting population
growth through providing unlimited land sprawl accommodation is destructive.
Using environmental decline as a constant fodder to fuel the insatiable GNP
furnace is not sound and will not stand. A planet divided will not stand,
this I hold to be self-evident. God save the AT! We need to keep the Project
alive. This is the next needed evolution of the human race. If it offends you
it doesn't matter a darn!

The common delusion is to go elsewhere to seek the wilderness you want. That
is false and exactly the excuse the developers and pols are using to cover
everything in sprawl. Unlimited exploitation of private property for land
development is an outdated concept, yet these people want to maintain it as
long as possible because changing it for the better is simply seen as a
danger to profits.

It is happening out West too. You can't escape it by running away. Sorry if
this seems strong to you, but tolerance of this decline is something that
will be directly linked to the ultimate problems we will realize later on.
But they won't be around to deal with it. It is the worst of human nature
being provided for with bad results. The sum total of the common view of
present social intelligence is to see the best reward for existing in this
hopeless rat race is to get something nice for yourself. If it means
destroying that which you came to enjoy -so be it. Something that short

   - Rocks 'n Roots