[at-l] Off topic computer update

> Well I have swapped cables, reloaded drivers and tried the printer on another
> computer with no progress.
> My question now seems to be is there something that could go wrong with a
> computer that could "toast"  scanners and printers?  Two printers and a scanner
> in four months is making me suspicious.   Or maybe I just want an excuse to buy a new puter <g>
> Seriously.....can a glitchey computer destroy peripherals?

While this is possible, it's not very likely. But, in good form, I'd use
it as an excuse to buy a new computer, too. ;-)

> And I could use some guidance if I shop for a new computer.  This time I want to buy smart.
> I want something that can handle a lot of graphics programs so I can get back to AT-O
> without crashing every hour.  What features would i look for in a system to allow such
> use?  I understand processor speed and HD size and RAM but get lost in buses except
> I think that is the weak link or the narrow place in the pipeline to speed?

There is indeed a bottleneck in bus speed. But don't worry about that too
much. Although you'd do fine to get a top of the line system these days,
it's really not necessary anymore, because most systems have so much power
that your typical end user (that's 99% of people that own a
computer) simply will never use all the computing power of one of the new
machines.

One great piece of advice: STAY AWAY FROM Pentium IV. The Pentium IV seems
to be a crappy little piece of hardware that was poorly designed, is full
of problems, and in a lot of cases actually slows down the computing speed
when compared to a PIII or an Athalon.

> Do any of the manufacturers really offer good tech support or would I be better off
> going with one of those custom jobbies that are sooooo cheap on ebay?

Supposedly Gateway is great for support, but every single person I know
that has a gateway has had horrible problems with it, has HAD to deal with
tech support. Personally, I'd rather get a great computer from a company
with crappy support than get a crappy computer from a company with great
support. If you're set on buying from a big corp I'd go with Dell. If
you're not then I'd go to a local computer shop, and have them build me
one. The price is about the same, you support your local economy that way,
and if you have any problems the computer a real, live person is just a
short drive away.

> And I've heard that while ME has some advantages, that is also pretty glitchy.
> I have soooo had it with glitchy.  Would i be better off with 98 or 98NE

I've heard many good things about Windows 2000 Professional. However, I
gotta recommend Linux. The GUI in Linux has come a long long way from just
a couple of years ago. It's pretty intuitive these days, though it can be
a bit technical sometimes. However, getting a good distro like Storm or
Mandrake helps a lot. I rarely run Windows at home these days. Buy a book,
learn about Linux and its desktop environments (KDE and Gnome are the
primary desktop environments), and learn what it's like to actually run a
system that is truly stable. Here's a hint: The linux community often
refers to Windows as Winbloze. ;-)

> And if a puter doesn't come with a zip drive can one be installed?  Or would it be
> better to get a CD writer and use that for back up?.

Of course it can be installed. If it's an internal then you just need an
expansion bay, if it's external then you just need a parallel port (or
SCSI if you go that route). As far as using a zip vs CD-R(W) for backup,
it's a matter of personal taste.

> Basically, I'm asking what computer or specs you would
> look for if your main objective was web work and other graphics intensive applications.
> Not into gaming.

If you're into graphics intensive stuff and doing actual web WORK (as
opposed to play) then a Mac might be the way to go. I'm actually thinking
of buying two computers the next time I shop for a computer. I really want
to check out Mac's OS X, and I want a laptop. Yeah, I need 4
computers. God, I'm such a geek.

> Thanks in advance and if you have more to tell me than you care to type, I will be glad
> to call you on my dime.

Isn't e-mail a lot cheaper? ;-)

Cleek