[at-l] Re:Need a pack cover

This is what worked for me when I was preparing for my thruhike...

I went to three different stores in the area, and bought all the packcovers
they had.  Just because one cover works for one person on their pack does
not mean it will work for you on your pack.  I brought them all home, packed
my pack as it would likely be packed on the trail, and tried on all of the
packcovers.  Then I weighed all of the packcovers I thought might work for
me.

I ended up keeping a very simply designed The North Face packcover that only
weighed three ounces.  It fit my Dana Designs Terraplane like it was
designed for the pack.

At three ounces, I doubt you can do better with a plastic bag.  If I were to
use plastic, I would always be carrying a second bag in case the first got
torn.  The weight of the plastic bags would probably be 3 ounces.

One of the nice features it has is a drawstring on the bottom.  You can pull
it all the way closed but there will always be a tiny little hole so that
any water that creeps in can drain.  I usually just tucked the extra string
into the packcover and it always stayed put.

When I was on the AT in GA a few weeks ago, I used my new Kelty
Vapor.  The packcover was a bit big for that pack but still worked just fine
so now I'm hoping to find a similar packcover a size smaller.  Thanks for
the reminder...

Mara
Stitches, GAME99