[at-l] The Barkleys make it to bpl......

>    Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 17:16:40 -0400
>    From: "Coosa" <coosa@fox21.net>
> Subject: Eco-challenge
>
> I've been watching a bit of it.  Seems it's more like masochism than a
> challenge.  I think the course should have a major amount of difficulty,
> but doable by 50% of the group.  I'm not sure that this year's course is
> doable by that amount.
> Comments?  Differing opinion?    > Coosa
### Here's a website for ya, dear Coosa.
http://mmahoney.teejay.net/barkley Great Pics.
100 mile race with a 60 hour time limit. (A common 100 mile goal is <24
hours, so what's with the 60? Try 52,000 feet of climb and 52,000 feet of
descent in 20 miles.) The questions you post above come to the fore every
year about now ("Barkley time..."). The race admits only 35 runners a
year, and is *always* oversubscribed. The entry requires $1.55, a license
plate from your state, and an essay on "Why I should be allowed to run the
Barkley." The 2001 Barkley was just run, and the race's 99.8% dnf rate
(Did Not Finish) seems to be coming down to 99.5% or so: the Barkley just
had two gentlemen finish -- on their 5? and 4? attempts. One of them was
("our own"?) David Horton, the AT record holder through most of the
nineties, and the LT record holder for a year (1999?). If you lurk on the
at-l, you'll note that David and some friends hiked the entire Smokys AT
(70+ miles) in early March in around 24 hours -- one of his "practice
hikes" for the Barkley. "Lite hiking"......
### Sheesh! (But I may *attempt* to sign up for the "fun run" next year.)

Happy Trails, all!
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10