[at-l] 4/6/01 Update on Maine Rose

Here are two recent messages from Beverly's sister Janice.  I may have
already forwarded the first one...can't remember.

------------------
3/24/01

Bev asked me to write to let you know how beautiful all of her flowers
are and how much she appreciated everyone's thoughts and prayers.

We celebrated Bev's birthday today - we had the use ofa big, beautiful
boardroom at the hospital.  All of the family and her close friends
attended.

Bev's daughter Saretta initiated the making of a memory scrapbook with
pictures of Bev at home/abroad/ and on the trail.  We spent most of two
days working on it - it was fabulous - and she just loved it!

The room was filled with many presents and food of course (Bev's favorites -
caviar and Japanese nori rolls)
<snip>

Sincerely,
Janice
------------------
4/1/01

Thanks for keeping in touch, Linda.  Bev is still receiving emails and
flowers on a daily basis from all of her hiking friends.  It's really
quite incredible.

She is at Brighton Hospital in Portland right now but perhaps only for
another week or so when she'll be moved to another facility.  At that
time she will begin 6 weeks of radiation treatments.

I haven't seen her this morning yet - usually I'm up at the hospital by
6:30/7:00 a.m. with coffee for her and her roommate.  Her spirits are
still high but we've noticed a deterioration in her speech - she is
beginning to slur some of her words.  Bev is fatigued quite easily.  She
is "all there" mentally however.

Take care, and I'll write again as soon as I know where she will be next.

Janice