[at-l] Broken Hiker

At 11:19 AM 4/5/01 -0700, Wardecker Bob AKA Shakeyleggs wrote:
>I am concidering ending my hike here in Franklin. My
>knee is gettin better but I still am unable to walk
>unassisted. I have no date other than the date imposed
>by Baxter SP for Kahtahdin to finish my hike. But I am
>very far behind`where I should be at this time.With no
>idea as to when I will be well enough to get back on
>the trail. I am really bumbed. Because I know that
>this was and will be the only chance to do a Thru that
>I will ever get. I am going to dump all my gear in a
>hiker box and head home on Saturday evening. time to
>get back to my room later folks.

I know that you are discouraged but this is not the time to make drastic
decisions. When you are depressed your view of the situation is skewed and
it's better to wait until you can make a more objective decision. Besides
this may not "be the only chance to do a Thru" that you ever get. Unless
you have one hell of a crystal ball you don't know what the future holds.
Dreams can be both wonderful and terrible. Wonderful when they happen as we
hope but terrible when they don't work out. When they don't work as we
expect the best strategy is to step back calmly and see what can be
salvaged. There's no shame in section hiking and there are other
"Katadhins" out there. This dream didn't work this time. It hurts. Okay,
grieve for it and move on.

Wishing you better days,
Saunterer