Getting the vitamins in... was Re: [at-l] Filter/tabs and Vitamin C precipitating

--- "Billie H. Cleek" <cleek@cleekhouse.com> wrote:
> The point would be that the intake of the vitamins would more closely
> match the body's need for those vitamins. Since our bodies cannot store
> vitamins, it seems like an exercise in futility to try to get all the
> vitamins we need in a single pill taken all at once. That's like trying
> to put 20 gallons of gas in your 10 gallon tank just because you know
> you're going to need it....

### I go at this two ways. One is to munch on a vitamin-packed food (say
an enriched cereal like most fruit loops or for a sodium&fiber-packed
complex-carbo punch, Grape Nuts) all day long, a bit at a time. The other
is to take a standard multi-vitamin at night before bed.

### To take a vitamin in the morning is to put it in your system when your
system is least programmed to absorb it, and may as well be flooded with
caffiene (and thus blocking absorption of Vit. C and certain minerals).
Yes, this means we're all pretty stupid for having orange juice *and*
coffee/tea at the same time of day. Taking a vitamin or munching a bunch
of vitamin-packed cereal in a morning binge just guarantees green pee --
indicating a working kidney and lost vitamins/minerals.

### I think that we should petition M&M/Mars to incorporate your idea into
the M&M's sold along the Trail, in order to guarantee hikers young and old
get their proper amount of Chocolate antioxidants.

In health,
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10