[at-l] Re: Vitamin C Precipitating Iodine -- was Filter oriodine for 6-day trip (TN-VA)

The Vit C is really only to improve the flavor of iodine treated water. I
find that after a couple liters, I can ignore the iodine anyway. The acid
of the Vit C reacts with the iodine, taking it out before it could treat
the hardier cysts and spores (crypto and giardia). Gatorade and similar
mixes have Vit C as well as colorings and other additives. It only makes
sense to rinse the container with the dirty water (unless you are really
short on water) to get the residual out. It would be easy to carry a
separate Gatorade bottle for such mixes to add clean water too. You have to
do that with inline filtered water, as Gatorade powder will clog a filter
up quite quickly.

I carry an inline filter and Polar Pure. I see the polar Pure as a backup
and a component of my first aid kit for wound cleaning. It does not expire
as iodine tabs will, using a very sturdy bottle and supersaturated
solution. This gives me the convenience of immediate access to water
without waiting on iodine, with much less weight penalty. I know of docs
who suspect the inline filter is inadequate, but I trust the available
testing and FDA information. I also suspect that such water treatment may
be unnecessary on the AT, as Sloetoe suggests.

OrangeBug