[at-l] Sort of 'off topic' but with an AT question

I heard a story on NPR yesterday about BIG VOICE. This is a new warning
system being tested on an Air Force base in Arizona. It consists of a huge
speaker system with 400+ megawatt amplifier. The reporter said it could be
heard for 6 miles and that if you were next to it the volume literally
vibrated your entire body. It's intended to provide quick warnings to
troops on the airfield of dangerous conditions such as approaching
electrical storm without the necessity of individual radio contact.

In testing it could be easily heard in neighboring civilian areas and
proved so startling that there were complaints. As a consequence they now
have to go through command channels and notify everyone before using the
system. It seems to me that kind of defeats the reason for using it. If
you're going to notify everyone that you're going to make a BIG VOICE
announcement, why not just tell them what you plan to announce. I guess
that's why I never got past Sergeant in the Army. I think logically. The
reporter closed the story by saying that every military installation in the
US is going to get it's own BIG VOICE.

Anyway here's the AT question: I know that the Army Rangers 'play' war
games along the AT (GA or NC?) but I'm wondering how many military
installations are within 6 miles of the AT. Anyone know? Perhaps our
resident ATC staffers have info on this. For some, hiking the AT is a
spiritual experience but I don't think a booming voice in the middle of
nowhere warning of a change in the weather is what they are expecting.
Perhaps warnings to expect this will have to be added to future guidebooks
for affected sections of the trail.

Saunterer