[at-l] Gorp for 7 days?

CSpears283@aol.com wrote:

>Hello all.. I sort of hesitate to ask this dumb question, but here goes:
>  How much trail mix is a sufficient day's average on a 7 day trek, in TN,
>in May, without a break?  10 oz per day = 70 oz.= over 4 lbs!!!!!  besides
>food. Sound average?.... Thanks,
>
>olehiker from Louisiana

I didn't use GORP on the AT, but I developed my own type of GORP for the PCT
and the CDT and used it for "refueling" stops during the day.  It weighed 26
oz leaving town and lasted anywhere from 4 to 10  days.  I generally made it
stretch as far as the next town stop.  Sometimes - especially after 2000
miles - it didn't quite last that long and I was REALLY glad to get to town.

Unless you're using it for lunch as well as snacks, 10 oz per day may be
overkill.  OTOH - you'll likely run into a few thruhikers and you may be
able to give it to them - if their appetite had kicked in. That doesn't
always work though.  During her JMT thruhike, Ginny tried to give away a
couple pounds of GORP because she'd overestimated what she'd use - but
nobody wanted it cause they were all carrying too much food too.

Walk softly,
Jim

PS - The only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked. :-)