[at-l] the big day

Gimme,

Wish you well on your hike.  What's your itinerary for The Canyon?  Are you
staying off the beaten path, or are you traveling some of the more
frequented routes?  On 6/1, we'll (wife and boys, 9 & 13) head down the
Bright Angel Trail to meet up with our raft for a five day float trip, and
we've got a little time before and after the trip to sight-see.  We won't
have time to reach the slots at Zion (or for that matter take time for the
slots at Vegas), but I saw a site for Antelope Canyon, supposedly a slot
canyon near Page, AZ.  Anyone know if it's worth a look, or what else is
close and worthy?  We have decided on a Hoover Dam tour, and we'll probably
partake in some touristy Old West cowboy type stuff in Scottsdale or
Williams.

In doing a little research for our trip, I happened across a National
Geographic article on "America's Best: the 100 Greatest Adventures" at
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0003/100adventures_new.html
In addition to The Canyon, Zion and Monument Valley make the list.  It was
interesting to note that the AT has three entries in the top 100: The
Presidential Range (No. 8), Hiking the Southern Portion of the 100 Mile
Wilderness (83), and Hiking Grayson Highlands in SW VA (91).

Take Care,

Tim

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 23:13:56 -0700, Pat Villeneuve wrote:

>  About 12 hours 'till we leave for the Grand Canyon. There's possible
>  rain in the forecast, and the temps there today were 30* - 62*. (Bear in
>  mind that that's terrible weather for me/here. ;->) But I've packed
>  warmer clothes, and I'm eager to go. Don't know if I'll manage much
>  sleep tonight. Blaze says he hasn't been this excited since he started
>  his thru last year.
>
>  In honor of the destination, I'm dropping my
>  one-roll-of-film-per-maildrop rule. We're joking that we'll end up with
>  hundreds of similar shots: canyon walls #72... canyon walls #113...
>  canyon walls #278... canyon at sunrise... canyon at sunset
>  [again].......
>
>  So excited-
>  Chocolate

Send a cool gift with your E-Card