[at-l] Y2K food finally comes out of the closet..

Lots of things sound nasty until you try it or make an effort to learn
about it. Fish can work quite well in a microwave, for instance. Finding
ways to stretch money can work - even if one is on food stamps. Much of
this thread appears to be a flame similar to thinly veiled racist diatribes
of the 70's and 80's involving "Welfare Cadillacs." I know folks who are
able to be creative with the crumbs left by society. I also know folks who
waste the riches of society (any day traders around?) Want to guess who I
find the most appalling?

Heck, part of the benefit of food stamps is a means of support for farmers
to assure stable markets and prices for American produce and meats. It has
been a long time since anyone starved to death in this country, with the
exception of anorexics. I remember folks in Avery County NC with shrunken
bellies, prominent ribs, and lethargic babies in the early 60's. We all
have benefit from welfare, in spite of the real fraud that occurs.

Rather than joust over the straw man of the welfare recipient, this thread
could be more appropriate in dealing with economical ways of enhancing our
nutrition on the trail. Many of us are the equivalent of the idiot buying
sirloin to make hamburgers - relying solely on Poptarts and Liptons for
meals that are quick, expensive, heavy, and incomplete. There are other
ways, including buying in bulk, combining your own ingredients, shopping
cheaper, learning ethnic food options, and other creative choices. Heck,
many of us could benefit from discussion of how to outfit our gear cheaply.
Want to know how many Ti pots I have that are heavier (and far more
expensive) than my every hike aluminum pot? Anyone know a metal worker who
could re-machine these pots?

OrangeBug