[at-l] checklist

At 06:32 AM 4/2/01 -0400, Rich Bowyer wrote:
 >Doea anyone have a checklist they use before embarking on an overnight hike?  I'd like to see one.

Naturally depends on conditions and season for the clothes.  Since you can get a better idea of weather
for a quicky trip, you can pack accordingly.  I am almost always solo, with my dogs, on very unused trails
so my needs are different.  And this is really the same that I'd take (except more food) for four days.
Prolly the same i'd start to Maine with...

I have a belly bag that almost always goes with me.....
even on day hikes or for water.
It contains
ID and medialert
phoncard
1 ten and 2 fives
compass I can tell north <G>
water chems
ziplock bag (just can't bring myself to drink from a condom yet)
trash bag
painter's cloth  (will replace with a small siltarp soon)
lighter and tinder
rice crispy thingy
buck lite knife
wind pants
cord about 20 feet

In the pack, at this time of year: daytemp 50 night 30

Some stuff doesn't change for me.  Since I hike with dogs and have had a serious injury
happen, I pack a pretty heavy first aid kit with tape, gauze pads, guaze wrap and vet wrap.
a pair if skinny medical plier type things for thorn removal, tweezers,  scissors, duct tape
Vit I, Imodium. pepsid. benadryl, eye drops for me,  oh yeah.extra filter thingee
Also blister stuff and just stays in there since I never know why when I'll get one or four.
I also have a small spice thingee of foot powder

pure hiker .......my dogs don't like chem treated water
coffee flters
nylon water bag
two empty 1 L. soda bottles

tent or tarp/line/stakes

sleeping bag
pillow
booties (lighter than socks and give the "line" around my legs a chance to go away)
T shirt
long undee bottoms

sleeping pads  3/4 thermie ultralight and 7/8 Mt Lawson
survival blanket..ground cloth for tarp/sit pad

petzl tika head lamp
radio

stove/fuel
lighter
pot
cozy.....soon
spoon
insulated commuter cup
piece of turkey net
aluminum oven liner piece for wind screen
3 metal spring clamps
sil pack cover

one sandwich
one bottle OJ  16 oz
two peanut butter cups
one cup o soup plus dried mushees
one cup instant rice sprinkled with lemon pepper and chicken powder (at home)
1 hard boiled egg
two servings tea chamomile
two serving coffee
2 oz cream
two packet grits (I share with the dogs)
packet olive oil
two packet ea pepper and salt
3 oz chunk of cheese (I share with the dogs)
8-10 ritz
grapes
or dried apples if I have them

or I might just take a sub, a pint of milk, a bag of popcorn and coffee and come home hungry <g>

trowel
Paper towels (cut in half)
empty racquet ball tube
2 pieces of waxed paper
Trash bags one large one small
hand sanitizer 2 oz
sunscreen 1 oz
handcream 1 oz
tooth polish 1 oz and brush
bandana (I put a glop of hand sanitizer on the dampened bandana and wash up)

Nylon shell (wind layer)
fleece jacket (warm layer)
tights
long sleeved shirt
gloves
light ballie
two pair of socks
surf mocs but they seem to be heavier each year..may soon discard
and go back to footies

I wear a cord around my neck with a whistle, photon, keys and teeny knife

The dogs each carry their camp towel, food, bowl, sometimes water and tie out rigs.
If all dogs are going, it means a bigger tent.  One of the dogs carries the tent.
It makes a pack weight of 1/6 her weight, with water to even the load. I carry
her food.

about the hand cream.  I have a ritual before bed.  I rub my feet and legs to
remove negitive energy.

My next change may be to switch to an inline filter drip system.
I would like to replace the fleece with something lighter and more compressable as well