[at-l] Any news?....

> Of the people who set off today from Springer?  Anyone seen a shivering
> South African amongst the bunch?
> Cheers
> Pat

I was there this weekend and saw many unfamiliar faces.  I looked for Daria
but couldn't find her.  Spent some time talking to a solo hiker from Boston
(no trail name yet) and a couple (she was from Lawrenceville, GA.), also 2
brothers (over 60 years at least) who were starting out on their thru hike,
never hiked at all before.  Both were quite overweight and carrying 60#
each, all THE most expensive gear and clothing.  They were already huffing
and puffing at Stover Creek where they were stopping for the night after the
"long trip from Springer".  I do hope that someone doesn't find them on the
trail after a heart attack.  We tried to tuckerize them a bit and they said
they would send back a few things from Neels Gap.  I have not idea when they
might get there.  One of the brothers is only hiking for 2 weeks but the
other is going to Maine.  Hope some seasoned hiker will take him under
his/her wing.

Oh yes....have to tell you this funny story.  We were taking a break at
Stover Creek when a young man came walking up to the shelter, lost already.
He asked, perfectly seriously..."Excuse me, but can you tell me how to get
to Maine?"  A bit later....maybe 1/4 mile down the road, we heard ask
someone else.  We thought his trail name should be "Which Way".

Hummingbird