[at-l] Bivy Question

Mr. Toad,

If it's the advanced bivy with the shock-corded arched poles, then the upper
portion is Goretex.  I've had mine for about six years and I've never had it
dirty enough to require any detergent, just water and a cloth once back
home.  I would say that typical Goretex care would prevail.

You're right about the condensation, particularly if you've got it down for
rain.  In most cases, I sleep with just the noseeum mesh zipped, with the
top pole unsnapped and lying on my chest.  That makes for good stargazing.
If I get cold or want some coverage, I just pull it right over.  It's roomy
enough for me (6-1, 195) and I also keep my boots in a trash bag at my feet
inside the bivy and outside my bag; that's usually enough to keep them from
freezing.

It is neat to feel the rain but not the wetness.  The weight's good, I think
around 1-10, and it's nice and compact as well.  When we section, we usually
use the bivy about two or three nights out of seven.  It's also been quite
valuable in shelters that leaked or were subject to blowing rain or snow.

Take Care,

Tim

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:42:16 -0600, Dan Myers wrote:

>  Greetings all,
>      Just spent my first night in my OR bivy and I survived!!  Only
problem
>  was some condensation over my head, but nothing major.  Question, what
>  should I use to clean my bivy?  It rained pretty hard and splashed mud
all
>  over it.  (Strange feeling to be laying in the bivy, hearing the rain,
>  feeling it hit you, yet not getting wet.)
>
>  -Mr. Toad

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/