[at-l] The Rat's Ass Society: A personal view

on 3/31/01 3:15 PM, Victor Hoyt at vhoyt@mediaone.net wrote:

> I'm going to go HMOH. But then, everyone does that, whether they intend
> to or not.

See, that's what I think of when I think of HYOH. You may have had a hike in
mind when you left (I'm going to do such and so many miles a day, I'm going
to shelter it every night, etc.). Or you may be hiking with some one else
who has his/her own agenda. But the trail will always have something to say
about how the hike really goes.

If you fight the trail and insist on doing things the way you imagined them,
you may not finish. Even if you do, you probably won't be enjoying it, and
you'll miss out on the serendipitous things that happen along the way. The
trail has taught me to find my hike and then be grateful hiking it. That is
a lesson I take back to life off the trail as well.

-- Hal / Pokey, ATSH, AHC, RAS, SNAFU