[at-l] Just Say No ... & Down Proofing

JUST SAY NO! to the Nikwax Down Proof.  It ruined a fairly good down bag as far as I am concerned.  My old down bag felt like a bad synthetic bag after treatment.  I was unable to wash Down Proof out after 4 attempts.

I felt like I was sleeping in a garbage bag in all but the coldest conditions.

I have also heard that Down Proof can substantially decrease the loft of high down fill (700+).

Down Proof is a wax designed to be absorbed into the down and prevent absorbtion of water.  The absorbtion of water is one of the traits down relies on to be a great insulator.

For those who have not used both synthetic and down bags, a good down bag typically has a wider temperature range of comfort.

Since the down absorbs some of the perspiration, the loft will decrease a little and effectively "cool off" the bag.

To keep this natural temperature regulation going, one must air out or dry a down bag on a regular basis.  Most higher end down bags will have a dark interior liner to allow for quick drying in moderate sunlight.

On a thruhike you are better off protecting your down bag judiciously.  Only one time did I have a problem, I attributed it to the fact that Down Proof substantially impaired the breathability of the down and prevented the moisture from escaping.  Ten minutes in a dryer in town solved the problem.

Cheers,
Terry
game'98
mega'01